I call this vegan bread “salad bread” because it’s made with oil and vinegar. It has no sodium in it, but lots of fiber.
- 2 3/4 cups Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Rye Flour
- 1/4 cup Hodgson Mill Milled Flax Seed
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2/3 cup Nestle Tollhouse Cocoa
- 1/4 cup yeast
- 1/4 cup Loriva Extra virgin Cold pressed Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine (grape) vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup Demerara cane sugar
- Large bowl and spoon for the dry ingredients
- Clear plastic pint measuring cup for the water
- Microwave oven to heat water
- Loaf pan, greased & floured
- Dish towel to cover bowl and loaf pan during risings
- (If possible:) rising oven. I played around with the temp setting on my Black & Decker toaster oven, then made a pencil mark. You have to insure it does not get hot just as much as you have to insure it doesn’t get cold!
1. Mix together the flour, flax seed, caraway seeds, cocoa, and yeast.
2. “Pebble” the oil in, and then mix in the vinegar.
3. Nuke the water 2 minutes, dissolve the sugar in it, and mix that into the dry ingredients bowl.
4. Cover the bowl and let rise for 2 hours. Transfer the dough into the loaf pan.
5. Cover the loaf pan; let rise 1 1/2 hours.
6. (If it’s in the oven rising, take it out.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 35 minutes.
7. Let it sit in the oven 5 minutes (after oven has been turned off), and let it cool outside of the oven at least 15 minutes.