Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Best Steak Recipe for the Grill


I am an honest guy ... I didn’t invent this recipe, BUT I read about it in the local paper, and it sounded interesting, so I tried it. I’ve done variations on it, but going back to the basics is the best.

First, the mix:
2 parts salt
1 part confectioners sugar.

When I put them together, I grind the salt down with a tablespoon so it comes close to the consistency of the confectioners sugar. I’m guessing what happens is the salt seals in the moisture of the steak, and the sugar caramelizes around the salt to give that nice flavor. Needless to say, this is my favorite recipe for a grilled steak.

Get your grill as hot as you can, and make sure your steaks are at room temperature. Sprinkle one side of the steak with the mix and place it onto the grill. Depending on how you want your steak, just before you turn it over, sprinkle the mix on the uncooked side and flip. Always be sure to give your steaks at least five minutes to rest before digging in.


The variations I tried:
2 parts salt, 1 part brown sugar
2 parts soy, 1part confectioners sugar
2 parts salt, 1/2 part confectioners sugar, 1/2 part brown sugar.
Forget the baked/grilled potato ... get a sweet potato instead and bake or grill that. I also serve my steak with a medley of fresh mushrooms from the store sautéed in butter, and then a bit of squeezed lime topped with some coriander.
Cheers!