Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nana's Sour Cream Cookies

This recipe is comes from my mother's mother - Nana Yaroch, and it's my son Luke's favorite cookie. My grandmother never frosted them and I don't remember my mother frosting them. For Christmas, I used to sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sprinkles before baking them.

When Luke was little, he loved a Christmas book called the Sprinkle Snatcher... one day he got up from his nap, saw the sour cream cookies just out of the oven with only a few sprinkles on them and went into meltdown because he thought the Sprinkle Snatcher got them. I frosted them and added more sprinkles and ever since, the frosting and sprinkles have been on top of our sour cream cookies.

½ cup shortening (Crisco)
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
Cream the above until light and fluffy.
Stir in:
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Sift together then add it to the above mixture.
2 ¾ sifted flour
½ tsp soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Chill at least 1 hour ( 4-5 hour better)
Lightly greased cookie sheet
400 degrees for 10 –12 minutes


FROSTING -
Confectioners Sugar
dash of vanilla
Food coloring if desired
Milk

Mix above ingredients just enough to make a thick frosting, add sprinkles as you go
If frosting, let them set out for hours until the frosting sets up firmly.