Sunday, January 4, 2009

Neely's Wet BBQ Ribs

This recipe from the FoodNetwork courtesy of Mark and Patrick Neely.

* 32 ounces ketchup
* 16 ounces water
* 6 ounces brown sugar
* 6 ounces white sugar
* 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
* 2 ounces lemon juice
* 2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
* 8 ounces apple cider vinegar
* 2 ounces light corn syrup
* 3 to 4 pounds spare ribs
* 2 ounces Neely's Seasoning Mix, recipe follows

Directions

Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a stockpot or large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Reduce temperature to low and simmer, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, trim the spare ribs, removing the upper brisket bone and any excess fat; this will produce a St. Louis-style rib. Rinse the ribs and season with Neely's Seasoning, and then cover and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours.

Indirect cooking in a barbecue pit is recommended to prevent burning. Cook at 250 degrees F (curled side of ribs facing up) for the first 3 hours, and then increase the temperature to 300 degrees F for the final 3 hours. Baste the ribs only during the last 30 minutes of cooking to prevent sauce from burning.

Neely's Seasoning Mix:

* 4 ounces paprika
* 2 ounces sugar
* 1 teaspoon onion powder

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

NOTES:

I use the oven to cook the ribs (each rack wrapped in foil) for about 5 1/4 hours and then finish them off by putting them on the grill and basting them with the sauce. Keep the grill temp low and it won't burn!

I prepped ribs 2 days before I had to grill them, they came out very well seasoned & the Sauce is the best I ever had I added a 1/4 cup of bourbon. Great Recipe!

These were amazing!! I don't have a smoker, so I cooked them at 450 for 2 hours then threw them on the grill. The rub and basting sauce were both to die for!!

I dont have a grill, so I just baked the ribs in the oven the whole time and turned the heat up a bit when it was basting time so the oven would stay hot enough. YUM YUM YUM.. can't recommend this enough..

I made these while on vacation. I cooked them 3 hours with the dry rub, froze them, thawed them out while camping and finished them off with the wet sauce. OMG!!! They were the best ribs I ever had. Everyone LOVED them