1 pound beef stew meat
1 tablespoon bacon drippings or vegetable oil
1 quart water (4 cups) twice
1/4 cup WEM Barley
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups carrots (2-3), sliced
2 cups (2-3) potatoes, diced
1-15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon basil
1 can green beans, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1. In a large stockpot, heat bacon drippings or oil on high. When hot, add meat and brown thoroughly.
2. Add 1 quart water, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. While meat is simmering, rinse barley, chop vegetables, open canned vegetables.
4. Add barley, onions, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, basil and second quart of water.
5. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 1 hour.
6. Add corn and green beans and simmer 30 minutes more.8/16/2014 Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup - War Eagle Mill