- 2 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- 2Spray a 13 X 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- 3In large bowl, mix together the syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs until very well combined.
- 4Pour 1/3 of this filling mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- 5Add pecans to the remaining filling mixture and set aside while preparing crust.
- 6In medium sized bowl combine the two flours and salt.
- 7Cut cold butter into small pieces and add to flours.
- 8Combine butter into the flour using a fork or pastry cutter.
- 9Add cold water, a little at a time, stirring until the dough forms into a ball that sticks together (I only used 1/4 cup water but the original recipe called for 1/2 cup).
- 10Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead gently about 4 or 5 times until it is no longer sticky.
- 11Roll out dough into a 13 X 9 inch rectangle.
- 12Carefully pick up the rolled dough and place in the pan on top of the filling mixture.
- 13Pour the remaining filling mixture with the pecans onto the top of the dough.
- 14Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until the center begins to set.
- 15Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- 16Serve warm or at room temperature.