From EatingWell.com ( PREBAKE the crust!)
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear; see Tip) or frozen
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
To prepare crust: Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, add oil and water and gradually stir them in to form a soft dough. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, preferably deep-dish, and press into the bottom and up the sides. Trim any overhanging crust. Line the dough with a piece of foil or parchment paper large enough to lift out easily; fill evenly with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil or paper and weights. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- To prepare filling: Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Sprinkle half the cheese over the crust, then layer half the tomatoes evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle with corn, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake the pie until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Ingredient note: Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store it in the freezer.
- To remove corn kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.