- 2 lbs. sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or water
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt ( HOLD this is making a low sodium dish)
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
Cook turkey sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat until browned, turning occasionally. Layer half of the onions on bottom of 3-4 quart crockpot, then add half of the peppers.
Add all of the browned turkey sausage, then the rest of the onions and peppers. Add bay leaves and garlic.
Combine diced undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine in small bowl and mix well to blend. Pour over mixture in crockpot. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
One hour before mixture is done, Remove sausage and slice, return to crockpot. Then mix together parsley, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper. Add to crockpot and stir well. Cover and cook one more hour until sausage is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender.
Serve on brown rice, spaghetti or penne pasta, or in a hoagie bun.