Just pile these ingredients in your crockpot and enjoy a delicious Italian meal tonight.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 20 minutes
- 2 lbs. sweet or hot Italian sausages
- 2 onions, chpped
- 2 green peppers, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 oz. can low sodium tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Cook sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat until browned, turning occasionally. Layer half of the onions on bottom of 3-4 quart crockpot, then add half of the peppers. Add all of the browned sausage, then the rest of the onions and peppers.
Add diced undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine to skillet and and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring to loosen brown bits on bottom. Pour over mixture in crockpot. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
One hour before mixture is done, add Italian seasoning and pepper to crockpot and stir well. Cover and cook one more hour until sausage is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender. Serves 8