Sunday, April 12, 2009

Susan Ziegler’s Lemon Squares

I don't know Susan Ziegler but Michael Ruhlman does and this recipe comes from his blog, check him out... you'll love him and his recipes.

I like recipes that have names tied to them......... long after someone has left this good earth, their recipes continue to nourish people and bring pleasure. My grandmothers' recipes wouldn't be half as fun to make if they didn't remind me of them.

Michael Ruhlman would probably cringe to know that I too have reached for that box of lemon squares when I'm in a hurry......... and he's right, they are not as good and really are no quicker than making them from scratch. I here by resolve never to buy another box for I am now a fan of Susan Ziegler's Lemon Squares.

The Crust

4 ounces butter, melted

1 cup flour

¼ cup confectioners sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting

The Curd

2 eggs

1 cup granulated sugar

½ teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoons salt

5 tablespoons lemon juice (one lemon)

Heat your oven to 350 degrees.

For the crust, combine all ingredients till well mixed and press into an 8X8 or 9x6 baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine all the ingredients for the lemon curd, mix well and pour over crust. Bake 20 minutes. When it's completely cool, put a spoonful of confectioners sugar in a fine mesh strainer and dust the top.