Portobello Burgers make a wonderful light lunch or supper served with a Caesar salad. Or, cut each burger into quarters and skewer with a toothpick for a great appetizer.
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stems and gills removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large red, ripe tomatoes, slightly firm, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- Pinch granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 8 large crusty rolls, cut in half
- 1 cup Roasted Garlic Aioli (recipe below)
Brush tomatoes with the remaining oil. Sprinkle each slice with salt, pepper, sugar, garlic and chopped basil. Grill until soft, about 2 minutes on each side.
Toast rolls until lightly brown in color. Spread Roasted Garlic Aioli (below) on both sides of each roll; place the mushrooms on the bottoms, then top with the tomato slices. Replace the roll tops and serve warm.
Makes 8 burgers or 32 appetizers