If your supermarket sells jars of peeled garlic cloves, this is a great place to use them. The purchase will save you the step of peeling seven or eight bulbs of fresh garlic. Serve the soup as a first course for a French menu or with a tossed salad and crusty bread for lunch or supper.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only), trimmed and sliced, about 2 cups
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (about 7 bulbs)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley stems, thyme sprigs and bay leaf tied together)
- 2 cups stale French bread, cut into 1⁄2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup whipping cream or half and half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Remove the bouquet garni and puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Add the cream and heat to boiling. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 6-8 servings.