Sunday, January 2, 2011

Nana Mae's Hot Chicken Salad


Nana Mae was my grandmother.
This is her pantry - many wonderful things were assembled in there.
If I ever build a house, I'd love to recreate a pantry where all my "stuff" is readily available and the mess is out of site........with a sink, compactor and garbage disposal in it!



This is one of my favorite recipes from Nana Mae.... savory and delish. The mayo used in it "disappears" while baking so you can serve this to "Mayo Haters" - they'll never know... it will be our little secret!


1  1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
      (rotisserie chicken from grocery store if need be)

2 TBSP minced onion ( I use a medium onion, diced)

3/4 Cup Mayo (MUST be Hellmans Mayo)
Add enough to coat so it doesn't dry out, it "disappears" in the oven
(so you can feed this to mayo haters - they'll never know)

1/2 diced celery

1/2 tsp salt (omit to make this lower sodium)

1 TBSP lemon juice

2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/2 c. crushed potato chips for topping
(I don't use the chips, I add more slivered almonds instead)

375 Degree Preheated Oven

Mix all ingredients gently, except chips.  Put into a 1 quart oven-proof dish . Sprinkle with crushed potato chips or more almonds.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until heated through.

Serves 4


NOTE - to scale this recipe for more people, just add more of everything and more mayo!  Easy Peasy!