Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cosmopolitans & Nibbles

Cosmopolitans & Nibbles
I never thought that Cosmopolitans were a serious cocktail. How I scoffed at those yuppies and dot-com kids sipping their pink drinks, while I enjoyed an icy cold martini (gin only, please!) with the smug satisfaction that I was 'hard core' and they were not.
Then I noticed that one of my food heroes, Arthur Schwartz, printed a rather good argument for their existence and a recipe for the drink on his web site. After some sleuthing, my friend Clifford forwarded me a recipe that I fussed around with to create the perfect Cosmo.
Okay. Snobs may feel that you should use Grand Marnier or Cointreau, but it's not right. Perhaps because I use fresh lime juice instead of the often-used sweet Rose's Lime Juice, but the syrupy sweetness of Triple Sec pairs perfectly with the tart lime and cranberry juice. If you do choose to use Grand Marnier, you should add about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon superfine or Baker's sugar.

Cosmopolitans
For 2 cocktails
4 shots vodka
2 shots Triple Sec
juice of 1/2 lime
cranberry juice, just enough to give a pink color
Fill a shaker with ice, add the above ingredients and shake vigorously. Strain into well-chilled martini glasses.

Of course, cocktails should always be served with little nibbles. Here are two of my favorites:

Middle Eastern Spiced Olives
Take 1/2 pound mixed olives. Toss in 1 tablespoon of harissa (Middle Eastern red chili paste). Remove the pulp from one preserved lemon, and cut into small dice. Toss with the olives. (You did make preserved lemons a few months ago when I gave you the recipe, didn't you? If not substitute three 1/2-inch strips fresh lemon or orange zest).
Harissa can be purchased in tubes in middle eastern markets or is easily made at home.

Roasted Nuts with Rosemary
(from The Union Square Café in New York City)
Roast 3 cups of mixed raw, unsalted nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, hazelnuts, brazil nuts all work well) in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the hot nuts to a bowl, and toss in 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, very coarsely chopped, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 tablespoon kosher salt.