Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thanksgiving Potatoes from the Silver Palate Cookbook

This is the recipe from the book....my modifications are in bold print and make a richer and moister pan of potatoes that don't need anything on them... I basically do 10 pounds of potatoes for Christmas and add the "good stuff"........ so fattening but soooooooooooooo good!

9 lg. baking potatoes, peeled and diced  (10 pounds)
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks melted)
(1/2 tsp minced garlic added to the melted butter)
12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature ( 2 oz pkgs of cream cheese)
3/4 c. sour cream (16 oz - more if needed to get the right consistency)
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg ( I don't use)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
I use Lawry's seasoned salt and freshly ground pepper to season 
I also season with garlic POWDER, not garlic salt




Place the diced potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat until tender; drain.

Place the potatoes in a mixer bowl. Cut the butter and cream cheese into small pieces and add to the potatoes.

Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the sour cream. Season with the nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or reheat in a buttered casserole at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Yields 8 portions.

I omit the nutmeg and use garlic powder instead..  I use maybe a tsp... don't want it to overpower the taste, just season it.   I make this a day ahead of time and put it in a large baking pan...then shake paprika over the top to make it pretty.......cover with saran wrap and refrigerate.  Before baking, I take it out of the refrigerator several hours ahead of time so it won't take so long in the oven.  Adding the extra butter, the top tends to get a little brown.  Sometimes, I divide this into two baking pans, one to serve soon and one for later in the week.


I have also put the finished potato mixture into a crockpot - works fine... butter will rise to the top but just stir in before serving.