Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Balsamic Glazed Almonds

This recipe comes from one of my favorite food blog, Coconut & Lime....check it out.
http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/

1 cup raw almonds*
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

Directions:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the nuts, brown sugar and vinegar in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until their is no liquid left and the sugar has dissolved, about 5-8 minutes. Add the salt and chile powder. Stir until dissolved (about 30 seconds) then pour the nuts on the the prepared pan and quickly use a spatula to separate the nuts into one layer, no touching. Cool completely before eating.


*I used skin on, but blanched would probably work just as well.

My thoughts:

This year I decided to make flavored nuts to give as gifts. However, this first recipe was all for me. Look for several new recipes in the days to come.

These are perfectly caramelized almonds with a secret. I love that the candy shell that envelopes the nut is not too sweet and not sour at all- just right. I honestly have never been much of a nut** person, but I wish I had made two or three times the amount I did.