Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fried Pumpkin Blooms


This is not a recipe I grew up with......it is one I inherited when I got married, from my sister-in-law. The marriage didn't last but I recently found this in a drawer and decided to share it on the blog for those who love fried pumpkin bloom.

I'll bet most of you reading this didn't know you can fry the Blooms of PUMPKINS ( and other squashes)   and they are pretty tasty... so they tell me. I am not one who likes fried food but many people do. They tell me it's like eating meat.


If you are growing pumpkins or squash in your garden, you will see some blossoms that are on very thin stems and will not be producing a fruit. Pick these and store in a plastic bag with a paper towel.  Other blooms can also be picked, just know that picking a good bloom forfeits a pumpkin or squash.

When you have enough for a meal, rinse them off and let them dry on a paper towel.

Then, simply dip these flowers in beaten egg, roll in flour, and fry in an open skillet in a lard (yes, I said lard, remember I don't eat these and they are "down home country folk food".. or oil until lightly brown and crisp. Salt and pepper to taste. Drain on paper towels and serve.