Makes one serving and it's MUCH lower calorie than the coffee shops and healthier
- 1 cup 2 percent milk
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée (fresh or canned)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon plus a dash each of ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves)
- In saucepan, heat all ingredients over medium, whisking constantly.
- When it begins to steam but not boil, remove from heat. (Optional step: if desired, carefully transfer to blender, cover, and blend on high until frothy.)
- Serve warm.
Jennifer Motl is a registered dietitian.