I LOVE salt but my dad is on a sodium restricted diet... trust me, you will not miss it in this recipe... and if you do, add it at the table.
A hearty and flavorful low sodium Italian soup.
If you're not watching your sodium consider adding tortellini
Serve with a crusty bread.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I use the minced in a jar)
- 5 cups NO SALT beef broth (or 4 cups + 1 cup water)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine ( I usually just pour)
- 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- OR 2 cans NO SALT Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (8 ounce) can NO SALT tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup frozen corn ( no sodium in it!)
- 8 ounces bow-tie pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 TBSP dried
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- (Can make ahead to this point if you wish, refrig and remove fat that solidifies)
- Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini, corn and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add bow-tie pasta during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.