Serve a Kentucky Derby favorite that calls for bacon, tomatoes, Swiss cheese, and your choice of cooked chicken or turkey. The creamy White Cheese Sauce brings out the smoky flavor of the bacon.
Whether you make your favorite sandwiches using a sandwich press or a heavy skillet, you're sure to love these - change them up... have fun with them... they are great comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 16 (1/2-inch-thick) Italian bread slices
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 cups warm White Cheese Sauce, divided
- 13 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
1. Brush melted butter evenly on 1 side of 16 bread slices. Place, butter sides down, on wax paper.
2. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. Swiss cheese on top of each of 8 bread slices; top evenly with chicken, tomato slices, and 1 cup warm White Cheese Sauce. Sprinkle with bacon and remaining cheese, and top with remaining bread slices, butter sides up.
3. Cook sandwiches, in batches, in a preheated panini press 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining 2 cups warm White Cheese Sauce for dipping.
White Cheese Sauce for Dipping
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Whisk in Swiss and Parmesan cheeses, salt, and red pepper, whisking until cheeses are melted and sauce is smooth.