Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Michigan Pot Roast

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes, came from my Aunt Denise, who lives in Michigan

3-4# Pot Roast (Chuck)
2 pkgs of dry Lipton Onion Soup

Heavy-Duty Foil

Pull off a large amount of foil... it needs to be long enough to double it and wrap the roast

In center of foil, sprinkle a pkg of dry Lipton Onion Soup mix.
Place roast on top of this.
Sprinkle the other package of dry soup mix on top of the roast.
Fold fold both ways to form a very snug package, folding ends over 3 times.

I wrap another layer of heavy duty foil around this.

Place in an open pan in a 300 degree oven. Allow 4 -5 hours.

FREEZER METHOD - what I prefer.

Make your meat packet up ahead of time and freeze solid. When you are ready to cook it, simply place packet of frozen meat in an open pan and cook in a very slow oven - 225- 250 degrees for 8 - 10 hours. Meat falls off the bone and is very moist with lots of juice.

My mother always served this with mashed potatoes and corn.... and I did the same with my family. This meat makes wonderful sandwiches and "planned overs."